Wednesday 30 January 2013

LOVE YOUR ARMS

Back in December, I wrote a blog post listing my favourite lower body exercises. Since then, a lot of my friends have been asking about what upper body exercises I do, particularly for toning my arms. And, because so many of you have kicked your workouts up a notch in anticipation for an early summer (or spring beach vacation, whichever), I thought I'd share with you my favourite arm exercises that target the biceps, triceps, and shoulders.




Aside from the tricep dips and push ups, these exercises will require a set of dumbbells. Depending on the exercises, I use between 5 and 15 pounds.

Hammer Curls

Tricep Kickbacks

Tricep Dips

Tricep Push Ups

Standing Shoulder Press

Lateral Raises

Upright Rows

Complete three sets (aim for 12-15 repetitions per set) of these upper body moves 2 to 3 times a week every other day. Combine with cardiovascular exercise and a nutritious diet, and you'll be sporting tank top-worthy arms in no time!

Try This: For quicker results, I might use a heavier weight than I'm used to and/or comfortable with, yielding fewer reps. That said, sometimes I like to do a different workout that consists of less weight, more repetitions, and smaller, slower movements. The idea here is to use slow and controlled movements to exhaust the muscle, similar to Pilates.

What are your favourite arm exercises?

image via fitness magazine


DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, physician, or any kind of health professional. Everything that you find on my blog is based on my own knowledge and opinion. If you require specific health and fitness advice, please seek a qualified health professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment